Sunday, October 24, 2010

How Do I Know What I Know

  • Nurture- to bring up; train; educate.
  • Experience- the totality of the cognitions given by perception; all that is perceived, understood, and remembered.
             
           Everything I have learned up to this very day can be summed up in two words: nurture and experience. The one that has mostly affected me though has been experience because as they saying goes, you sometimes have to see it to believe it. When I was too little to understand what events and actions meant, my parents’ nurture came into play. They nurtured me with their beliefs of religion, philosophies, goals, and aspirations which at the time became mine as well. They helped me to understand and know my religion of Catholicism as well as more general aspects of beliefs such as pursuing my education and knowing right from wrong. As I was able to interpret events and happenings, I started learning more through experience than through what I was being told. Instead of thinking I wanted to be a doctor just because that’s what my parents expected of me, I started to explore other careers such as teaching and writing based off what I came to believe were my interests. I started figuring out the truth based off what I went through, not on what other people said or told me. I know that Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy are not real or existent thanks to my experience. Up to this very day, I believe I know what I know thanks to nurture and more importantly, experience.

5 comments:

  1. SO MR MCCARTHY SU=AID I COULDNT WRITE MY LAST COMMENT :(
    UMM SOOO I LIKE HOW U SAID UR PARENTS WANT U TO BE A DOCTORE BUT U WANT TO FOLLOW UR OWN DREAMS ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. So do you think nature plays any role in a person's development?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think that pretty much everything people experience is through nature or by nature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the bullet points help me, i like the layout alot

    ReplyDelete